Monday, July 16, 2012

My best thrift shopping E.V.E.R.

I had one of my best thrifting days ever on Friday. I think it may have surpassed that storied day when I bought about 12 brass birds and I Married Adventure for $3.99! I walked into the Sally Ann for the first time since I had Max and hit the bookshelf first to feast my eyes on this baby:


I almost completely geeked out and let out a small high pitched shriek, but held myself together although I did rip it off the shelf and then clutch it to my bosom in record time! There is so much satisfaction in finding a fabulous copy of one of your favourite books I can't even describe it.

And then these beauties were in the store window:



The Our Lady of Perpetual Help print is gorgeous, seems pretty old and genuinely from Italy. Its really gorgeous and has a really nice aged, vintage-y patina that it awesome. I think I'm going to keep it in the little frame as well because it makes it seem so unassuming and old-ish. The portrait is kinda sweet and I have an intense desire to have a hip oil portrait gallery wall one day...so heres hoping it will work out for me. The poor portrait is in what could possibly be the worlds ugliest frame of all time:


This picture doesn't to it justice. Its the grime-iest plastic ever. Really, really bad.

I'm not sure where these two pieces will end up in my house. I just know I love them a lot. 

I come up against the old..."how many religious art pieces should one put on just one wall" problem time and time again.

I also picked up this book:


I've never read it. And partly bought the book because I loved the type and colour combo. But the movie with Rock Hudson is out of this world awesome. Quite possibly the best tear-jerker of all time, and Rock Hudson at his dreamiest. Please go watch it right now. 

So one of my most beloved books in a 1945, second edition came in at a whopping $1.00.

The Our Lady of Perpetual Help print was $30.00 and my little portrait of mama and babe was $12.99. 

Magnificent Obsession also was a whole dollar. 

Awesome. 



3 comments:

  1. I came home with a complete "Thomas the Train" track set and a picture of "Our Mother of Light" for a whopping $8 today! (Pictures on my twitter) I love a good thrifting adventure and that vintage Brideshead is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were just browsing old books yesterday! I could do it for hours. Awesome finds- lucky duck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear someone else call it the Sally Ann.

    I never can tell if the confused are the uninitiated (non-thrifters), or if we somehow made that one up in our house.

    Seems pseudo universal, now!

    ReplyDelete

Imagine we're having a coffee together and let me know what you think --
I love comments almost as much as coffee!

(And please check to make sure your email address is connected to your profile, I'd love to email you a reply.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...