Friday, June 22, 2012

Seven Quick Takes vol. 17


Heres my random for the week! Go see Jen, of course!

{one}

You know how I live in the middle of nowhere right? Well yesterday we officially began summer with the first naked jumping-on-the-trampoline-with-the-sprinkler session. Its a fan favourite around here. And its pretty hilarious to watch. We're talking a good 45 minutes of non-whiney bliss! Its all fun and games until someone pees on the trampoline of course...

{two}



Its the Feast of St. Thomas More and St. John Fisher today! They're ridiculously bad-ass for saints. It couldn't have been a good time to stand up to Henry VIII over a woman. And of course today is the beginning of the Fortnight for Freedom in the States. And I'm praying for you guys-because I've read Mark Steyn and am completely aware that once the States goes down we're all hooped. Although, you really don't have to look far here in Canada to see how the freedom of religion is getting stomped on. But I won't rant...

{three}

This has been everywhere the last couple weeks but I have to get on board the Everyday Food daily video bus. They're really quite good, and the recipes are really quite good. This one is my personal fav of the week, we're big brunch people around here, and I'll eat anything with peanut butter! 

{four}


Speaking of St. Thomas More,  I'm reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel right now and all I can say is "wow". Its definitely not A Man For All Seasons! Its intense, and beautifully written, and I love this time period. Its also about 600 pages and at the rate I'm able to read it's going to take me months to finish which makes me sad, but happy at the same time, its one of those books!

{five}


Is it anathema for a homeschooler to admit a strong dislike to A Man For All Seasons? As someone who was home schooled I was inundated with A Man For All Seasons for years. Apparently its one of 10 approved Catholic movies, the play is approved Catholic reading, and before you know it you've watched A Man For All Seasons at least once a school year for about eight years running. It just brings to mind the darkness of the movie., And I'm not talking figuratively or story wise,it was actually fairly dark feeling. As in not a lot of lighting was used in the making of that film. Or maybe it was just VHS? Plus it really made staying true to the Church a big ol' drag. But I may be wrong, I'm probably applying bad memories of watching it so many times to the storyline. Ignore me. 

{six}

I'm painting my dark entryway this weekend. We've put it off for the almost 6 years we've lived here because it would be such a pain in the ass to repaint. But I've grown tired of the dark cave of mauve. Its basically the worst entryway you can imagine. Its about 12 square feet and opens onto both the steps going upstairs and downstairs. I thank my children's guardian angels on a daily basis that no one has toppled head first down those painful looking laminate stairs into the the basement yet. First world problems eh?!

{seven}

And I know this is supposed to be random but I can't let such an awesome G.K. Chesterton quote go unquoted: 

"Blessed Thomas More is more important at this moment than at any moment since his death, even perhaps the great moment of his dying; but he is not quite so 
important as he will be in about a hundred years' time." ~G.K. Chesterton

"Whoa" right?!





2 comments:

  1. Loooove this one. I simply have to borrow the G.K. quote. St. Thomas More, pray for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That GK quote is chilling - sharing the St. Thomas More love today, he's one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete

Imagine we're having a coffee together and let me know what you think --
I love comments almost as much as coffee!

(And please check to make sure your email address is connected to your profile, I'd love to email you a reply.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...