Monday, January 9, 2012

Life with a newborn-random thoughts.





People stay up all night for fun??!!?


First of all, lets just establish that staying up all night is not fun. My problem may be that no alcohol was involved in my couple of sleepless nights over the last couple days. There may be something to that...


This beautiful newborn stuff can be rough. So far he's a dream baby during the day and will sleep, nurse, poop without so much as a small cry. Then 9 pm hits and all he wants to do is cry in burpy agony. For about 6-8 hours. 


The thing is I'm terrible on small amounts of sleep. I become a huge emotional mess that hardly can get her own children a breakfast of cold cereal. I'm fearing giving this up-all-night stuff the name of "colic". I've had two colic-y babies who for about 6-8 weeks gave me very little sleep at night. Also with those two babies I had pretty brutal postpartum depression. So I'm scared of no sleep+feeling awful+trying to take care of 3 other babies and the newborn! I'm trying to take it one day at a time and not to imagine weeks of sleeplessness. But sometimes I imagine it and go cry in a hot bath. 


However(!), he's remarkably beautiful and changing already! Someone stop him! His face is growing chubby, he's already longer, and is moving and looking around more. He's so little and cuddly. I can't believe how much I forget about this beautiful teeny tiny stage! I had a teeny tiny newborn only two years ago, and yet its still such a new and exciting feeling to just hold a little bundle. 


And confession: I hate co-sleeping. How do people do it throughout toddlerhood? My guess is only through exhaustion. Max isn't even two weeks old and I'm already crossing my fingers this sleep thing can get better and I can have more than 6 inches of my bed! Ridiculous. 


Well, those are some random thoughts for the day. I'm off to cuddle and nurse the little munchkin and pray I'll get a couple hours sleep tonight! 

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what is worse than nights with no sleep...and then having to take care of three other children who got lots of sleep and so have lots of energy! I can only imagine your pain:( Hang in there, Christy!
    I think I wouldn't mind co-sleeping so much if I had a king size bed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Christy, I will pray for you. Postpartum depression is the worst thing I ever went through in my life; I pray you will be spared!
    And I co-slept with Noah until he was 14 months old! Not all night every night, but mostly. It was only a coping mechanism, hopefully never to be repeated, or at least not for that long! And Isaiah is still in our bed at 8 months but I actually told Patrick I am ending it TONIGHT! Because I am waking up in pain from sleeping like a pretzel because His Royal Highness Baby takes up more room than ME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! I don't think he's got colic...I hope! I think he's still just working out this whole "being born" thing. So I think things might be getting better. Its just a scary thought when you've gone through bad postpartum to think that it may happen again!

    Haha, and co-sleeping is a definite coping mechanism! Only because I'm so tired do I actually sleep in the strange contortions when he's in bed with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy,
    First of all, congratulations on this beautiful baby boy! He is precious!

    I am one of those people who needs their 8 hours or I am a cranky mess. Lets just say motherhood has been an adjustment to living off a minimal amount of sleep. It gets really tough when its a few nights back to back like that. I am sorry its been a rough start! Praying its just a phase! Sometimes I bet you feel like hiding in a closet with a glass of wine-LOL!

    I am sure in a few months it will seem like a blur. Just hang in there! I hope you get some naps and an occasional massage;)
    Many blessings,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete

Imagine we're having a coffee together and let me know what you think --
I love comments almost as much as coffee!

(And please check to make sure your email address is connected to your profile, I'd love to email you a reply.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...