Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Playing Outside!




 So its finally feeling like spring here in Alberta! The last week the kids and I have been outside A LOT most days. These pictures are from a weeks or so earlier when there was still the last snow drifts hanging around and huge puddles everywhere! 




I've gotta say that one of my favourite things in life is watching these crazy kids play. Just watching them randomly toddle here and there, explain their imaginary games to each other, pick up rocks and whatever else they find in their travels, it's so adorable and I could do it all day! Well, maybe not all day. But it really warms my heart and I'm so glad my kids have had the opportunities for play from the very beginning. I think play is so important to childhood. It gives them the freedom that childhood is at its most essential. 



I wonder if many moms miss the sweetness and beauty of their child's play. Are they too busy or working? Or are the kids too scheduled, pre-schooled, and activity-ed that they aren't granted the opportunity often enough? I'm just struck by the importance of play sometimes, it just seems so precious. Kids thrive on it, and of course it brings them so much happiness! We've been living out in the country and seeing my kids wonder and run freely without worrying about cars, yards, or strangers walking by, makes me think the sacrifices we make to stay here are worth it. The distance to my husband's work, the different expenses (Gas!), and the come-and-go feelings of being isolated from like-minded friends! 



But choices made for childhood and family have lasting and beautiful results! 

1 comment:

  1. Christy, I love this post. I have been feeling pretty hard done by for living so far out in the country (and in reality, it's only 30 minutes from the city) but I have to remind myself WHY... It's a lovely place to raise a family, and that's what matters most.

    ReplyDelete

Imagine we're having a coffee together and let me know what you think --
I love comments almost as much as coffee!

(And please check to make sure your email address is connected to your profile, I'd love to email you a reply.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...